Thursday, March 6, 2014

Things I've Learnt Before 20

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME.

I'm 20 years old, motherfuckers. (I can say that now without getting into trouble, right?)

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

(*mum sneaks up behind me with a shoe in hand to beat me up for cussing*)

I can't believe I'm not a teenager anymore. I spent seven whole years of my life getting used to teenage life problems such as wild hormones and even wilder hormones, and now I'm expected to be an ADULT?! I wish life were a restaurant with free delivery so I could call God up and say, "Hey man, can you double up on the teenage? My stomach wants its butterflies back."

This year, instead of the generic "happy birthday to me" post I do annually, I thought I would try something different. I know this concept has been rehashed a million times all over the internet, but I DON'T CARE I'VE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE SO YEAH DEAL WITH IT.

Here's my first selfie as a 20 year old.


Things I've Learnt Before 20 ~

- Everything I do will seem completely idiotic to me later on

Every year I grow up a little and begin to despise everything I did the year before. Be it crushing on someone, writing something long and winding, behaving in a certain way around somebody or wearing a certain outfit, I've learnt that any idea that seems cool to me at the moment will probably turn into the hugest cringe-worthy memory in the future. I've also learnt that this 'do-regret-do again' process will stick around till the end of time.

- Online life isn't that important

If you told me that I would be declaring the above statement on my blog three years ago, I would have punched you in your face and called you a filthy liar. Back then, I was obsessed with my online life (but you can't really blame me since I was a little home-schooled betch), and thought online relationships (a.k.a friendships) held more value than real ones. Now that I have been exposed to real-life interactions via university, I've learnt that (for me) nothing can beat laughing with someone, hugging someone and telling them they mean the world to you - in person. Even sitting in comfortable silence with somebody feels like a blessing. This doesn't mean that I love my online friends any less - I just have come to terms with the fact that seeing someone in real life has a different impact on me as opposed to communicating through a screen. Now, if given a choice between my online presence and real life, I wouldn't take forever to reach a decision that I would be completely satisfied with (but I'll probably miss getting top comments on YouTube videos...).

- Letting go is an inevitable (albeit shitty) part of life

Everyone (including myself) has changed and matured (or becomes a bigger idiot than before) over time. It's silly to assume that someone will retain the same personality forever. The sooner this fact is accepted, the better. Sometime change doesn't feel like the best thing in the world. Sometimes people you love can become toxic and overbearing and mean and nasty. And sometimes you need to let them go. I've gotten rid of so many useless people in my life that I once used to deeply care about. Even though I felt awful about it initially, with time I feel like a great burden has been lifted off my shoulders. I've learnt that holding on to everyone is just too much work and sometimes it's better to relax your grip and see who still latches on and who drifts away (ooooooooh, deep).

- Too much worrying about physical appearance is unproductive

I've learnt that if I keep nitpicking about my own appearance whenever I look in the mirror, I'm going to be an extremely unhappy person. Finding faults in the way I look does nothing except ruin my mood, so I've decided that I'm going to simply accept my tummy fat and huge forehead and short nails and oily nose for what they are. They make me who I am. Plus, ever since my new haircut, a lot of people have had mixed reactions. I tend to ignore the ones who say they 'liked my hair before' because that just puts a damper on how amazing I feel after making such a huge change. I do, however, take pains to make myself look presentable (literally - have you ever felt the throes of eyebrow plucking?) - I believe there's a massive difference between embracing your flaws and looking like a hobo.

- Not every relationship has to be serious

When I was with my ex I got so emotionally invested that I was completely devastated when things started going downhill. I was not prepared for the intensity of heartbreak at that time. I had put all my eggs in one basket, and dropped the entire thing on the ground (from a 100 storey building). Being single for over a year has definitely put things in perspective. I've learnt that youth is a glorious time that ought to be taken advantage of, and should be used to explore all options before settling on a definite one. I've learnt that peoples' company is meant to be enjoyed. I'm going to have fun and roll with things till I find something I can be happy with - and I'm going to let this process take its own sweet time.

- I'm never going to get over my laziness

I started this post with the intention of writing 20 things I've learnt but I honestly can't be bothered to write more. I've learnt that my laziness is a habit that's probably going to stick with me till the end of time. Not that I'm complaining...

x

So yeah. If you actually read through all of that, end your comment with #20YearOldSwag. (Or not...)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME ONCE AGAIN! Adulthood beware, I'm here to ruin your reputation.

p.s. this is my birthday song.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, like any online retard, I would gleefully type: FIRST COMMENT. Wooooohooo.
Secondly, I think this is the third platform through which I'm wishing you (doesn't really matter, though, you're awesome xinfinity times so it is only fair you should get multiple wishes!)so.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN, FURREE!
Thirdly, I'm really glad you've figured out your priorities. And I agree there is a joy to real-life interactions that online friendships can never fulfill (though, it wouldn't be half bad if we get to have a talk now and then :p)

Anyway, have a great day, Furree! Stay amazing.

Husna Aftab said...

First of all,Happy Birthday Furreeee or rather I'd say that Haapppiiieeee sexy 20 girl ;) haha

I always feel so good after reading your post. Everybody has their own story to tell but honestly you narrate yours very well *big hug* (y) You'll see more changes in your self...

When I broke up with my ex I thought that "the world is over now" I have no reason to stay alive. I can never fall in love again" and BLAH BLAH BLAH trust me it was all *bullshit* after when I stepped into my practical life and started working, I realized that everything happens for a certain reason I have bloody more reasons to live my life... YES YES YES

So, Keep posting and wish you a very blessed life ahead.
xoxo

quartertoinsane said...

you turn twenty and the first thing you do is take a selfie... and you arent an adult, you can never be an adult, so just stop trying while you are ahead. *someotherusefulstuff* have fun with life *blablablabla*

lastly, and most importantly... i wished you a happy wali brithday! wheres my piece of the cake!!!

Prarthana said...

Belated Happy Born Day!!! I'm still in my teens and as traumatic as it may seem, I'm kind of enjoying it too :P Crazy? Anyway, Go girl! I'll try to keep your lessons in mind next time I'm facing a problem so thank you ;)


Lovely blog
With Love,
Curly Scribbles



Rutaba Tariq said...

I thought you were pretty with all that bang-work going on (no pun intended :O); but man, this new do has proven me wrong, you are way more prettier than perceived. :D Maash'Allah.

Coming to the actual content of the post, its lovely how you are so cutely against growing up but in advice give some very bold, very mature guidelines. :D Aren;t you just beautifully balanced :3

Anyways, Happy Birthday!

Manju Modiyani said...

Happy Birthday Dear! Looking really pretty in the selfie :)

But I am a bit surprised. I mean you turn into an adult on your 18th birthday...right?? *confused*

Lots of love! :) <3

Mr. Gargus said...

Well Happy Birthday Furree :) 20 is exciting stuff, isn't it? I just turned 20 in Jan. I can definitely relate to the things you've said here, I've learned them myself. Good luck, have fun, and enjoy the next 20!

#20YearOldSwag

Dorsey Sprouls said...

Hahaha this was absolutely wonderful. And insightful. And funny. And heartwarming.

So a usual post for you. I look forward to having that #20yearoldswag that you do!

Furqan said...

Happy birthday.

PurpleMist. said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYYY!!
:D ♥

And I love that list of things you've learned. Very relateable :)

You're looking amazing at 20, hope you have many more happy birthdays!

P.S. #20YearOldSwag :P

Ridx said...

Hello Furreeee. A very very happy birthday to you. May you have many more and may you be strong enough to embrace your flaws. I love how you carry yourself. I enjoyed reading this post. Guess what? I am gonna turn 20 this year too but well it won't make me an adult. Haha. And I totally believe that one shouldn't invest so much time on one person, its suffocating and its okay to let people go, the ones who made you feel bad about yourself. I did that with a few people and I felt really really bad but like you said after some time, I felt happy and relieved. I think this time, while we are young, we should enjoy making friends, learning, travelling (if we are rich coz well I am broke!) and all that stuff. To be around just one person is a total waste of your time and energy. And I am gonna do something like this for my 20th birthday. Let's hope that I don't get lazy and all. Keep blogging. You are an awesome blogger and you know it! :)
ps: I hope everything is going well in your university and your little sister is doing well. :D All the best for the year ahead.

oh and High Five we have at least one thing in common - laziness and oh The love for RANVEER SINGH! HAHA.

Unknown said...

i totally agree with your points "Everything I do will seem completely idiotic to me later on" and "Too much worrying about physical appearance is unproductive" and Welcome to Adult-hood and best wishes for the life ahead =)

The Me. said...

Haha. Man I'm 22 and I feel young and free as ever! Adulthood is a myth bro.

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY <3 <3

I didn't really feel that my hormones became any less wild after I turned 20. I think that's a myth.

Hope you had a great birthday :)

CRD said...

Happy Birthday Furreee...Ur a proud Twenty-nager now :P

Love the nose-ring. New addition for the next decade?

Cheers
CRD

Kashaf A. said...

Happy Birthday, again Furree.

Haha, I'm nodding my head while reading all your opinions. I just turned 18 last month and since last year I have started to contemplate on what lessons I have learnt throughout the year. It helps a lot.
I have that 'i don't give a damn' mood on a lot these days, sometimes it's wrong but most of the times i feel it's right because I almost ended up destroying myself as I constantly used to consider what people used to think of me.
Your blogposts always put me in a happy mood and i want to give you a big hug. May you have many more happy birthdays and may you stay strong five-ever.
p.s PAKISTAN AJAO. MUJHAY MILNA HAI ELHAM SE. (aur ap say bhi)

Unknown said...

HAPPYYY BIRTHDAYYYYYYYYY!!!
I'm sure you had a good one.
Plus, no.2 was straight in the feels. Bearing in mind how I was 'addicted' to twitter a while ago and the mini internet-gasms I used to get whenever I got a retweet(s).
True, whatsoever. Can't wait for your next post. Well, I can...
Shalom (To the dome..)

Laila N Mysis said...

########20YearOldSwag!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Am I allowed to say that if I'm not 20? Oh well.

I didn't realise turning 20 could make you so wise ^_^ I always imagined everyone would be crazy until 30 or something. Hm.

I think the hardest thing for me will be the letting go one. I think I'm clingy? Well, maybe not that dramatically, like, I don't need to be in touch with everyone 24/7. But I have difficulty fully accepting something is over, so that every time I do see whichever person, I still feel as if I need to act like we're best buds... Hopefully I'll sort it out before I'm 20 x)

This was a really nice post, Furree :) All the best for the future, have a good one ♥

AVY said...

Sounds very sane to me, easier said than done though I guess. Happy belated birthday.

/Avy

http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

Katherine said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Furree! I love your new look! :D

Yes, we mature more and more each year, and as look back on the year (or years) before, we pick up a lesson or two, and we bring those lessons with us as we move forward. I'm happy to see that you've learned some remarkable things. :)

Muslimah Delights said...

Aww all grown up! Nah 20 is still young, I wish I was 20 it's one of the best ages to be! Enjoy.

Tegan said...

yes girl!! congrats on being 20! awesome post, very informative ;) I'm still a measly 18 year old, so *bows down*
btw, if it's not too much trouble, could you recommend me some of your fave blogs? Because at the moment literally everything on my dash is fashion stuff, which is nice, but I want to follow more people whose blogs are similar to mine!
Much love xo

Unknown said...

Your ear piercings are to-die-for.

And I know I'm late - really late, but happy birthday again :)

SC said...

Happy belated birthday! Your hair looks amazing. You've got such beautiful bone structure and big eyes, it totally works. I've wanted to cut my hair short for a while now but my bf convinced me otherwise... well, maybe next year. I'm gonna grow out my hair (I was blonde last year, so still growing it out) long and black like a ghost.

See you around!

Bramblerose said...

Lovely post.. I enjoyed reading it.

P.S : You have got beautiful eyes :)

Thanks
Bramblerose
http://www.bramblerose.com.au/wooden_toys

F.S said...

Looking beautiful and glowing!


F.S

www.inspiredbyfs.blogspot.com

Faizan Muhammad said...

wow, it's a nice and stylish blog. Happy belated Birthday... :-) Yes, you are quite right when you say, things you used to do previously might change as age progresses in the progressive world. Take a good care of your hormones and have fun..:-)

Unknown said...

A very happy super rocking belated birthday #Miss20Fureeswaggirl :D

Life was pretty then, it's one hell of an awesome ride now!

Cheers, keep shinning.

Muhammad Hussain said...

Nice Post Free Tips Tricks And Free Software