Saturday, July 4, 2020

100 Days of Staying At Home (and losing my sanity)

disclaimer:
(Due to my laziness, this post was not complete on my 100th day inside. My 100th day was actually June 29th, 2020. Let's just pretend it is that date, so I don't have to live with the guilt of living in a fake timeline. Thanks.

Hi.

*deep breath*

I'M GOING INSANE.

I have been at home for exactly 100 days due to the coronavirus. The COVID-19. The PANDEMIC. That's right. ONE HUNDRED DAYS. I've been through it all. Quarantine, self-isolation, shelter-in-place, a total nation-wide lockdown... EVERYTHING.

This means I have actually, physically, not stepped out of my house for ONE HUNDRED DAYS.

I think, in my entire life, this must have been the longest period of time where I have had to be at home (counting both voluntarily/involuntarily instances). I don't even think me being a premature baby stopped my parents from taking me out in the early days of my life. Or when I got typhoid as a toddler. Or when I broke my collarbone falling from a slide in a playground at age 6.

completely unrelated image. don't worry.

No matter what happened, I don't think I can recall a time when I've had to stay home for such an extensive period.

It's not even like I'm an extrovert that loves interacting with people who has suddenly got their entire life's purpose snatched away from them. I have always been happy to stay home most weekends, and keep my interactions to people IRL to a minimum. However, that was my choice. Once the choice to go out and meet people was taken away, staying at home stopped being fun.

It didn't happen all of a sudden. For the first month at least, I was pretty much all right. I found things to do, like reorganize the entire store room and whip up an ungodly amount of Dalgona Coffees.

I was (and still am) lucky enough to retain my job, and just switch over to working from home. This played a huge part in maintaining a semblance of purpose and routine throughout this entire time at home. Otherwise, I think my mental state would have devolved even further than it has currently.

So. With all this free time, and not being able to utilize it to have healthy interactions (not to mention just getting some fresh air beyond what I can have from sticking my head out a window), there are loads of things I have been doing at home to pass time.

1. Watching Shows

I was never really a big TV show watcher, so it's been kind of nice to immerse myself into stuff that I normally would not have had the time to experience had it not been for this pandemic. I have come to realize that I prefer shows over movies, for the sole reason of the investment in someone else's life for a change - and for an extended period of time - without having to worry about it ending too soon (LOL, that sounds so sad).

Anyway. Since I paid for PicCollage so that the terrible watermark would go away, I am now going to inundate you, the reader, with a collage of every show I have watched within these 100 days so far.


I know that watching eleven shows (with all their seasons) within a hundred days is probably nothing of note for some people (for example, my fiance blitzed through 400 episodes of Diriliş: Ertuğrul while also watching each and every one of the shows I watched PLUS lord knows how many more, all while holding a full time job and getting 8 hours of sleep - don't ask me how), but for me, this was a massive feat. I mean, back when I first got Netflix, I had literally spent one whole year of my life on Gilmore Girls and nothing else, so I've definitely stepped up my game.

I organized the collage as much as I could to depict the genres I was/am most interested in: Thriller/Suspense/Horror/Dystopia/Mystery, Comedy (with some good old representation) and Absolute Trash Reality TV. On a serious note, watching people being sexually charged imbeciles is a perfect palate cleanser in between shows with heavy themes or intense storylines.



2. Reading Books

Now, with the access to Netflix being available on every device I own, I haven't read nearly enough books during my time at home. Reading is something I have struggled with in my twenties, despite being an avid and insatiable reader throughout my childhood and teenage years. Being a huge Stephen King fan, I continued to purchase all his books as they released, but never really got around to reading anything of his (or of anyone else's, for that matter) since the past few years. So, I have a pile of untouched books that were waiting to be cracked open.


I did read one of these, which is The Outsider. I truly enjoyed it and it sparked my love for Stephen King again. I'm planning on reading the whole pile of these within this year. If you have any suggestions for what I should read next (from the above picture), let me know.

3. Creating edible things

I'VE BEEN COOKING/BAKING AS WELL. (I don't know why I decided to write that in all caps. Fake excitement to mask my disdain for suffering the heat of the stove whilst fasting for 33% of lockdown, perhaps?) Apart from the regular Iftar prep, I managed to make/bake a few things I'm proud of. Here's another PicCollage (seriously, I'm trying to get my money's worth of posting as many non-watermarked collages as possible at this point):


For anyone interested, the pics are of a typical Iftar, dynamite prawns, jalapeno poppers, peri-peri grilled chicken w/ baked wedges, brownies and a chocolate birthday cake. I made other stuff as well, but I couldn't be arsed to dig too much into my camera roll to find them.

But yeah.


Don't kiss the chef. We practice social distancing in these parts.

4. Working Out*

*trying to work out.

It's been a struggle, you guys. For the first month, I just let everything go. There was no physical activity whatsoever. My step count never even reached 100 on most days, since all I would do is roll out of bed to my laptop for work and then back in bed to watch a few episodes of the shows I previously mentioned. And not gonna lie, that certainly took a toll on my physical (and mental) health. I was feeling lethargic, irritable and bloated by the end of the first month.

That's when I got inspired to do...

The Chloe Ting Summer Shred Challenge.

I know this challenge became super viral this summer. I managed to finish 2 weeks of it before coming across a thread on how Chloe Ting wasn't a qualified nutrition/fitness expert. So then, that demotivated me to the point of giving up entirely, until I realized I had an old purchased program of FitnessBlender lying around - which I am currently doing. I'll let you know how that goes.


And yeah.

That's what I've been up to in this stay-at-home period. While it may seem like I have been getting stuff done and kept myself busy, it's still really, really tough some days. I know this blog is where I make light of many situations and don't really post about my mental health struggles (*COUGH* wewillignoreeverythingIpostedanddeletedlastyear *COUGH*) but I do wanna say that the title to this post holds some truth. I NEED THAT SOCIAL INTERACTION.

So. Please engage with me in the comments. How have you been spending your time at home? Has your lockdown lifted? Do you have a suggestion for what I should read? Do you want to be workout buddies? Do you wanna swap Money Heist memes? JUST TALK TO ME, THANKS.

Love you. I guess.

19 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've been doing these things too, except for the "working out" part. WTF is that?

Ryan said...

You made so many good uses of pics this time around for sure. BTW, I would advise you to NOT read Dante's Inferno unless you want bone-chilling descriptions of hell. Then again, I'm not sure Stephen King is much better in that regard.

This N That said...

It’s hard for me to believe that you haven’t been out of your house for 100 days. Why? Fresh air is good for you. I’m happy to get out to walk my dog and make the occasional trip to the grocery store. I miss eating out with my friends But I’m not sure that’s gonna happen again in my lifetime. I have seen some of the same shows on Netflix that you have watched. I am not a reader but I did get a couple of new books on my Kindle just in case. I never cook so that’s enough of that. You look like you are a wonderful cook. Exercise? I am with Deb on that. My exercising days are over along with the cooking. We are having a week of 90° temperatures and high humidity’s. Hoping for winter! Take care, stay safe. Missy

Linda Hensley said...

I suddenly feel guilty for complaining about mowing my yard -- which has to count as exercise even though it's on a riding mower. I want to eat at your house :)

Hanis said...

I think maybe, could be, your fiance watch the episodes the way I do.

I start the episode. And then I bake. Or clean my room. Or do some work. While listening to the show.

ITS LIKE A PODCAST. But then suddenly I have finished a whole season.

But it has to be something not tooo heavy. Or something in a foreign language.

Furree Katt said...

@Debra, HAHAHAHAHAHA. It's just... a really unnecessary thing. Lol.

@Ryan, Haha, thank you! Yeah I'm not sure if I'm gonna read it anytime soon tbh.

@This N That, Omg... well there's so much to unpack. I live in Pakistan, for one. Thank you, I do try my best when I cook so that means a lot. :))) I can't wait for winter too, it's way too hot here. it was 104 yesterday!

@Linda, COME OVER ANY TIME (after the pandemic!!!) <3

@Hanis, LMAO that's plausible. I'm so glad to see you back on my blogggg <3 ly

Something said...

I've limited my excursions to barely anything. On days it gets hot I sit in the car with the AC on (cause I need to keep the battery charged)

As for the Chloe Ting debacle. I can relate! Few years ago I discovered a band that I really liked. A few months later when I was looking for when they plan on releasing their next album I found the band had disbanded because the lead was a convicted pedophile... Lost interest in their music.

I really need to start walking again. Let's hit the park once things settle down?

Jucy said...

Great post! I pray you and your family would stay safe during this pandemic season.

The only thing I haven't done on your list is cook/bake -- unless you count microwaving oatmeal for breakfast -- but I've been meaning to practice my kitchen skills. I would love to serve a Gordon Ramsay worthy dish to my fiancé one day.

Unknown said...


hello i'm from brazil my teacher passed a task to do about your blog and i found it very fun to read it :3

Furree Katt said...

@monster potato, YES WE NEED TO HIT THE PARK, but only if I ever find the motivation to play Pokemon Go again hahaha. But yeah at this point any outdoor activity is welcome.

@jucy, thanks for your kind comment! Yes, there's no better time to practice than right now haha.

@unknown, thank you for your comment, you made my day! I am so happy and excited that my blog is being used in a lesson! If possible, let me know what it's about! And also, please put me in touch with your teacher, I'd love to help out in any way I can <3

Unknown said...


hello again i would like to thank you for having answered me so politely and for your good understanding i contacted my teacher so i am waiting for the answer, we are learning Skimming and Scanning thanks for being so attentive have a good day <3

Amna_a said...

I wrote a really long comment but it got deleted :(

My lockdown has been quite similar but with less books and tv (I’ve seen most of those shows!) even though I wasn’t working for 4 months lol oops. I’ve been playing video games and cooking for most of it.

Your iftar pics look great! It was the first year since I left home that I’ve been able to make elaborate meals for iftar which was really nice. Although not so nice fasting when stuck at home all day. The urge to snack was almost unbearable.

Do try to go for a walk if you can. I’ve been taking it easy with exercise trying to do things I actually *can* so I don’t get demotivated (took one look at Chloe Ting’s workout and thought: nope!) I go for about 2/3 walks a week and it helps me from going stir crazy. I try to do circuits at home on other days. Not too intense but something to get my body active.

Did you watch the outsider show? I think you Will like it- I haven’t read the book yet , I might read it after I finish IT . Catch 22 is one of my favourites I need to reread it. The absurdity of it all is both funny and sad.

Martin Alexander said...

Whoa, 100 days?? Not even to get groceries??!
I can only imagine. I didn't keep track of how long I went, but I'm quite certain it wasn't anywhere near that long!

Premature babies represent! That broken collarbone bit sounds particularly tough for a 6 year-old, though. Didn't know you had so many battle scars already, but that Foogle image had me cracking up, haha!

Did you end up watching all of Gilmore Girls, btw? I've watched every single episode and I even got a chance to let Alexis Bledel know that when she came in to one of the restaurants I was working at. Also, I enjoyed the reunion far better than I was expecting.

Btw, there's a site I have sometimes been using to watch movies with friends online. It's free and there's no need to download anything. Lemme know if you ever wanna watch something simultaneously :)

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm from Brazil and I loved your blog. My English teacher spent his blog in an activity on reading strategies.😚

Furree Katt said...

@Amna, Hi! Thank you for commenting again <3 I wish I could go for a walk but it's not too safe to go out alone. Things are opening up now though so I'll eventually venture out. I do take rounds in my balcony so I do get some fresh air and a view of the outside world, hahaha. I haven't watched the outsider show, i heard it's great but they changed around some of the characters. So I'll have to check it out to see how true it is to the book, which was super enjoyable.

@Martin, Yup, I didn't do the grocery shopping at all! My dad did that when he was in the country, now someone else does it but I personally have not gone out myself for groceries :p YES I WATCHED ALL THE EPISODES OF GILMORE GIRLS (and the revival). I thoroughly enjoyed it. Such a wholesome show lmao. And yesss do share the link!!! Although I have no idea how this will work out in terms of time difference hahaha

@Unknown, Thank you so much! I'm so overwhelmed with the love from Brazil, I have been noticing many views from there in my stats and I'm really grateful and honored to be a small part of your academic journey :)) <3

Dylan Devine said...

I feel like the doodles really exemplify what everyone is feeling inside right about now.

S. said...

Hello Furree
Are you me
First things first

"However, that was my choice. Once the choice to go out and meet people was taken away, staying at home stopped being fun."

I relate to this 100 percent. I keep saying this to my husband all the time.

Second, I have binged watched Netflix too. Different shows apart from Money Heist and also Pakistani dramas.

Third... My unread pile of book includes a recently purchased copy of Stephen King's Outsider. Did you love it? I am currently reading another one of his novel.

Fourth! Chloe Ting and Fitness Blender are on my Youtube history attempts of working out. But unlike you I haven't actually worked out.

And lastly.... I have been cooking but that isn't due to lockdown etc. I have to cook. However, cooking has been something I started doing in 2018 so still exploring lots of recipes though now I have a bunch of regulars I can cook up super quick.

Anyway, love seeing your blog being active. And also Maryam's.

Also, your doodles are as AWESOME as ever.

-Sana

Sohail said...

U made quite a lot of the 100 days. Very impressive home internship resume u got here.. I wish I had done even 10 percent of that.. 🙃

www.tonightidream-iwander@blogspot.com

Manu World said...

And...1 year later the pandemic it is still here... To last. Big nightmare for all of us.... Cheers from Portugal.